Friday, October 28, 2005

I paid to have my ass kicked! I had another physical therapy session last night. First thing we did was take a measurement of the range of motion I had in my knee, I got 102°, only a 2° increase from Monday. Next I went through the torture of them physically stretching my leg to increase the ROM. Most of the stretching was just gravity doing the work but it was quite painful. And on an aside, what the hell is with the 1 to 10 range of pain? I have the hardest time trying to describe pain and where specifically it is coming from. Let see, my knuckles are white from holding onto the side of the table and you have to keep reminding me to breathe, how much pain do you think it is 4? Despite the pain, regardless of the fact that I complain about their number system, I really don’t mind if it hastens the time until I get off the crutches and out of the brace. We measured once again and I was getting to 104°.

I then got set up on a large version of a CPM machine. I was on that for quite a while and that gave my knee a good stretch. The next stop was the bike. The nice thing about the bike was I was able to get a little speed and no pain at the same seat height as Monday. I also ended up lowering the bike seat two notches over that time period. At the lowest notch that I had it on (I think it was 6, not that it matters) I could feel the stretch in my knee but was still able to pedal with some speed.

After I was done with the bike I had one last measurement of my ROM, 110°! I was very happy with that, still not at my goal to move onto the next section of rehab but at least I seem to be making decent improvements. If I am able to get to that 120° mark by Monday that will only put me one week behind the schedule and maybe I can catch up.

The last thing we did was electro therapy with quad settings. A little over two hours from the start of therapy I was done. To say the very least I was beat! I plan on going to the gym this afternoon to ride the bike; hopefully I’ll have no problems making a full rotation now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home