Monday, October 17, 2005

I had my first physical therapy session this past Thursday. Not much to speak of, it went pretty much the way I had expected it to go. I ended up going to the same place in Concord that I went for the last two procedures. No one there was failure with the rehab protocol for cartilage replacement (as most people aren’t) but luckily I was smart enough to bring Carticel rehabilitation manual.

Karen the therapist was surprised by the amount of swelling I still had (five weeks and still no kneecap). I am now taking 600mg every four hours as well as compression and ice to combat the swelling. I need to continue doing the leg lifts and ankle pumps. I learned a few new passive motion exercises; at this point I really am not supposed to do much active motion. As well as the passive motion I have also added Patellar mobilization (moving the knee cap around), quad settings, and multi-angle isometrics. The last two is just flexing my leg and surprisingly it is a lot of work.

My PT schedule is now twice a week. I’ll be back there again on Tuesday (tomorrow) and I’ll report on the condition then and maybe have an updated picture of what the knee is looking like (not a huge change).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home