Friday, September 23, 2005

Thursday Morning September 15th still in pain with my knee, awake but tiered. I figured I might as well order breakfast. I wasn’t overly happy with my last breakfast so I went with something very simple, Cheerios and a banana. The breakfast was fine and I had no problem eating that right up.

The nursing staffs shift changed around 7:30 and around 8 my new nurse came in to visit. Again I talked about getting sick yesterday, when I would be able to leave and the pain in my leg. As for the pain this nurse was much more lenient as to when I could get the drugs and seemed to disagree with last nights nurse’s assessment of drug distribution. She said she could give me two more pills about a half an hour early, around 8:30. She didn’t seem to think that it was the pills that were making me sick since I don’t seem to be having any issues with them now but she wants to watch how I do on them. As for leaving she wanted to first get the pain under control.

I got my two Oxycodone and within the hour my knee finally started to feel better. My nurse came in again around 10 to checkup on me. I again asked about going home and said how the knee was feeling better. She wanted me to hang around until after lunch so that she could make sure that the knee pain was now under control and that I was no longer feeling queasy. Since I don’t think I could argue that point I ordered lunch.

For the life of me I cannot remember what I had ordered for lunch now. The nurse poked in to check on me around 11:30 and my knee had already started to hurt again. She said she would be back around noon to give me more pills. Had my lunch and my pills and by 12:45 my leg was feeling much better. Again around 1:00 my nurse came in to check on me and I was really pressuring her about leaving. She said she would like me to hang out just a little longer but she does not see why I cannot get out by 2 PM.

While she was there I had her unhook me from my Ice Man and asked if she would get me some more ice. She said she would get one of the CNAs to get me more ice. All excited that I was given a time to go home a called my wife. She tells me that she will not be coming until 3, I want to get out as soon as possible, why do I need to have to wait until three. Wow, I hope I don’t always act and sound like a four year old.

While the Ice Man was still unhooked and I hadn’t got the ice for it yet I got up to use the bathroom. I had no issue with the bathroom, never felt queasy and I figured while I am up I’ll get my cloths from the closet and maybe get dressed. I managed to get the closet door open and with my crutch drag the cloths on to the ground but that is about all I could do. The cloths remained there for the time being.

Three o’clock rolls around and I’m still waiting for the wife to show up. My nurse pokes in to see how I am doing and the pain is still under control (finally). She saw my cloths on the floor and commented that I really did want to get out of there. She said I could relax for a little while longer because I would not be going home for another hour. WHAT? I said my wife was supposed to show up at 3. Oh, she says, she called and we decided that the best time for you to leave is 4. I cannot believe that this nurse would conspire with my wife to do what is best for me, how dare they!

When my wife and her sister showed up I had to grab the basin and pretend to get sick. I thought it was a hoot but no one else seemed to. We came to the conclusion that it was probably the antibiotic that had made me feel sick. I think I had mentioned that at one point!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home