Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The quads are very sore today. Better that than the knee itself. Once again started off the same way we always do, riding the bike. From there we worked on straighten my leg. Karen thought it was looking much better. Talked a bit about the how I think my knee is doing and what causes it pain. I mentioned that going down stairs still causes pain. We then proceeded to do stair exercises for about 15 minutes. From there I worked out on the treadmill while Karen put tension against my knee. I will be having PT again tomorrow.

I’m now at 10 weeks out from the surgery. If I look at stage II (6 – 12 weeks) of the rehabilitation the goals are gradual increase range of motion (ROM), gradual improve quadriceps strength/endurance, gradual increase functional activities. I have been working on all of the above. The criteria to progress to phase III is to gain full ROM, acceptable strength levels (hamstring 10-20% contra lateral leg, quadriceps 10-20% contra lateral leg), balance testing within 30% contra lateral leg, able to walk 1-2 miles or bike 30 min. Of the criteria I can understand, my ROM is now at 135°, so I am close. I can already walk over a mile and bike for 30 minutes. I’ll have to find out in understandable terms how to measure how close I am when it comes to strength and balance.

My next post will probably be on Monday so have a very nice Thanks Giving all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home