Friday, November 18, 2005

Most of my PT yesterday was spent on straightening my knee (again). It started out like it almost always does with me warming up on the bike. From there I started a new exercise, I laid on my belly with a rubber band strapped to my ankle and the other end strapped to a table. I then had to bend my leg up toward my head and hold it. This is to help strengthen my hamstring. From there I went on one of the beds and Karen (the physical therapist) worked on my knee. This is probably the third time we have done this, I lay on my belly and she puts a foam cylinder or other object under my thigh and bends and massages my knee back (to straight). By the time she is done my knee hurts but I guess it is straighter. From there I went to the treadmill to walk backwards once again. This time I walked with tension on my knee. Again I used a rubber band wrapped behind my knee and Karen was holding the other two ends. She would then pull back on the strap forcing tension on my leg while making steps back.

For my daily exercises I can now drop the knee extensions as long as I get Mrs. Bentley to put tension on my knee while I do the treadmill. I have to also add the leg curls that I described above. So that makes it for strengthening: calf lifts, mini squats, leg curls, bridges, and stairs; for gait: treadmill with tension (walking backwards). I still need to continue to do balancing exercises and stretching.

As an added bonus this week I was sent home with an electrolysis unit (free use for one week). This is different than the micro-current unit I used earlier in the rehab. The electro-stim is the unit that will actually make your muscles contract. I actually enjoy this unit, I find it a really cool sensation having the muscles do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home