Thursday, November 17, 2005

November 14 and the PT is starting to get long again. There is good and bad in this also (see my last two posts). The walking is getting better but it still doesn’t feel exactly right and when my leg gets tiered I start to limp in a big way.

I started off my session the same way I seem to always do, riding the bike for about 20 minutes. My right knee seems to bend back a bit and Karen (the physical therapist) seems to now think the left will never do that again but it should be able to make it to full straight. On the bright side it is probably a good thing that it does not bend back at all. From the bike Karen worked on my knee trying to increase the bend. From there I went to the treadmill. She had me walking backwards on it to help with my gait. I continued on the treadmill for about 15 minutes. We then worked a bit on balance and then step-ups; I am now doing side step-ups.

By the end of this session my leg was quite tired. By that evening my leg was once again screaming and I was totally wiped. Wow is it nice to be back to the old regiment!

My daily workout schedule is now riding the bike for 20 min. For strengthening I do calf lifts, mini-squats, bride and step-ups (front and side). For gait knee bends and walking on the treadmill backwards. For balance I stand on one leg, usually on a pillow so that it is not an even surface, and play catch with one of my boys. I also continue to bend the knee to increase its range of motion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home